Homemade Wool Dryer Balls

This is our year of saving! I've been searching Pinterest to find money saving projects for everyday things around the house. I've made homemade laundry detergent and I needed something to replace dryer sheets. Here is my solution! I got the wool from Michael's with a 40% off coupon making it $7.49 for 6 dryer balls. The more balls you make the more they break up the clothes and get rid of the static. 

It's so super simple, you'll wonder why you didn't make them sooner.



I started them while I was watching Friends one night and this was my captive audience: Charlie. ha! Wind the wool a couple times around your index and middle finger.


Slide the wool off your two fingers and start winding to make a ball. I found it easier (and they looked prettier) when you wind 3 or 4 times and rotate the ball clockwise, wind 3 or 4 times, and so on and so forth.


This was my first ball and it is not near as pretty as the others. haha!


 Charlie thought this was boring and not amused.


They are all different sizes. The article I read (Wool Dyer Balls) suggested they be 4 oz but I just stopped whenever I felt like it. When you think you're done, tie the end to a string and tuck the string into the ball with a tooth pick or if you have a felting needle-use that!



Next you tie them in panty hose and then tie them up in a pillow case. Wash them 3 times in HOT water to make sure they are really felting! I washed other things in there so it wasn't a complete waste of water.



When you take the washed dryer balls out, the little fibers cling to the nylon so slowly pull the nylon off. I just cut the balls out of the nylon and slowly peeled. Whichever works best for you!


How they look in the dryer after I put some essential oil on them. 


The essential oil is optional but who doesn't like a clean scent on their clothes?


Have any of you guys tried this? Do you know how long they last? Who's running to get wool this week?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Feel free to leave sweet and encouraging comments!