New Week, New Verse



Wrapped up in the comfiest quilt with just a good cup of coffee and God's Word, I just let this scripture sink in, in the early morning quietness of the camp ground.

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil..." 1 Tim 6:6-10

I knew that being content is "great gain' according to the Bible. As a blogger and a 20 something newly wed, being content is so hard to master when Instagram and Pinterest are constantly showing me what else I need. I have spells where I need to go to Target or do some online shopping to get this or that, so I look like I have it together.  In the same regards,while I love pretty pictures as much as the next girl, that's not how I want to remember how I spent my twenties-buying stuff to make the perfect pictures. I want to remember them being full of adventure and love. I want it to be full of loving my husband more and getting to know my brothers-I want them to know how much I care for them. I want to look back and know that my parents were proud of me and how I tackled life. I want followers and those looking on the outside to see that I actually have a relationship with the King of Kings. He really is my help and guide. I want them to want to know Christ like I do or better.

I didn't bring anything in this world and I know nothing will be leaving with me when I see God's face in Heaven. So why do we need so much stuff? I'm just as bad as the next girl. I've been living in the camper for a week now and you really don't need that much to live off of. We hope to build our savings up while we are in the camper. I know that if we pray everyday for strength (we're both spenders) and only spend when necessary-I mean just the essentials (no jewelry shopping in Target or car cleaning supplies Jaime Ryan ;) ), we can pull it off.

The love of money is the root of all evil. Notice how Paul says the love of money, not just money in general. I pray we never forget this verse. I don't want to ever be money hungry or greedy with what God has blessed us with. Tithing regularly helps you put things into perspective, it's all God's. How we use it and how we give back shows the true state of our hearts and mind.

"God has promised to supply all our needs. What we don't have now, we don't need now." 
-Elisabeth Elliot


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Feel free to leave sweet and encouraging comments!