Homemade Dishwasher Tablets




So happy to have a house where I can make homemade house products and save money doing it.
Before we moved into the camper last May, I gave mom all my dishwasher tablets since in a camper...you are the dishwasher. Then I realized when we moved to our cute little townhouse, that's one item I didn't have. So I waited until I could get to the grocery and get the ingredients to make my own. I also went to TJ Maxx to get the ice cube trays, 2x12 cube trays for 4.99. Plus they have a silicone bottom which helped pop out the cubes without breaking when they dried.

So here's your ingredients:

Original Recipe

1 Cup of Super Washing Soda
1 Cup of Borax
1 Cup of Vinegar
1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice (oops, not pictured)

Stir in the dry ingredients, break up in lumps before adding the wet ingredients.


My mixture bubbled up some when I added the vinegar and lemon juice but it didn't spill over. 
Next, stir all ingredients really well. It looks good enough to eat, but I suggest not doing so.


Pour into tray. One batch filled up 12 cubes, so I made another batch to fill up the other tray.

Let set for 1 to 2 hours. I made mine before I started dinner and after dinner I popped them out and into the jar. Which you might remember the jar from when I made my homemade laundry detergent (here)...that I made last January and am still using!



The first and second load, the dishes came out chalky with a white film. So I did a little research and by putting vinegar in the rinsing agent spot in the dishwasher, I have clean dishes for 50% less of the cost as store bought dishwasher tablets. And they are in a pretty jar on the counter to look at. ;)

If you have any questions, feel free to email me or leave a comment! 
Enjoy saving your family money!


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Feel free to leave sweet and encouraging comments!